Acorn is a very versatile and easy-to-use healthy and nutritious food, that can often be locally sourced for free! The taste is a mild nutty flavor, and the nuts will also take on flavors when cooking. Acorn meal can be added to your favorite recipes, to enhance nutrition, and add interesting textures and flavors to your meals.
There are many acorn recipes available in books and online, but most of them simply add a little bit of acorn flour to otherwise normal everyday recipes. We like to push it further, and share, invent, or discover creative recipes that use acorns as the primary featured ingredient.
Fortunately, acorns are easy to cook with and easy to experiment with, by adding them to various meals and cooking with them in so many different ways, such as baking, boiling, and frying.
We encourage you to experiment with acorns, as they are an important nutritional source and have thousands of culinary applications. Here are some of the favorite ways we at the Acorn Love Project enjoy eating acorns:
Acorn Veggie Burger Recipe:
A “Veggie Burger” can be any kind of patty, made from vegetarian ingredients. It could be a Vegan Burger, or Gluten-Free, etc. etc. So, the best recipes for veggie burgers can be from a huge variety of ingredient choices and ways of preparing the burgers- Really, the sky is the limit with veggie burgers! You can choose your own favorite ingredients to add!
Here is one that we love:
Acorn Organic Veggie Burger
1. -Fry up some of your favorite fresh ingredients to add to burger mix, such as: finely chopped kale, onions, garlic, and Shitake mushrooms sautéd in coconut oil with herbs and pepper
2. -Rehydrate acorn flour using veggie broth
3. -Add your special ingredients/stir fry, and/or cooked beans, peppers, spices, and/or anything else desired, before mixing it all together to make your unique and delicious burger batch.
4. -Fry the burger patties on medium heat turning frequently, until both sides are golden brown and burger is cooked through, but not dried out.
5. -Add cheese melted on top (dairy or alternative “cheese”), if cheeseburger is desired.
6. -Serve with buns or bread and PLENTY of fixin’s, condiments, garnishes, pickles, and chips (or fries, if available!).